Answered By: Sarah J. Hammill Last Updated: Aug 29, 2014 Views: 940
Most of the library's research databases include articles from scholarly, peer-reviewed journals.
Learning to identify scholarly (often known as "peer-reviewed") and non-scholarly sources of information is an important skill to cultivate. Many databases provide help with making this distinction; they will offer options when searching to identify peer-reviewed content.
Additionally, Ulrich's Directory of Publications is a database that can be searched to verify the publication type (scholarly, refereed, magazine, etc).
Each database interface will look a little different, but may include a way to limit your searches to peer reviewed articles. One example is pictured below... just make sure to look for a "peer review" limiter either before or after your search:
Here are the steps for finding Peer Reviewed articles in the library databases:
- Go to the Library homepage and click the "off-campus access" button. https://library.fiu.edu/
- Enter your username & password to access the databases when you're not on campus. https://login.ezproxy.fiu.edu/login
- Now from the library homepage: Click on the "Research Tools" tab at the top and choose "Research: Start" http://libguides.fiu.edu/research
- There is a list of databases on this page. You can choose ProQuest, Academic Search Complete, or Academic OneFile.
- Once your are in the database, choose "Advanced Search"
- There will be an option for Peer Reviewed journals or publications; Click it and this will limit to peer reviewed articles
Do you need to verify that a journal is peer-reviewed?
Follow these steps:
- Start at the Library's homepage: library.fiu.edu
- Locate "Research Tools" >> "Research Start" at the top of the page
- On the "Research Start" page, scroll down the page and locate the "Other Research Tools"
- From that list you'll want to look for "Ulrich's Web"
- Once you are in that resource you can do a search for your journal title and it will indicate whether your journal is peer reviewed or not!
Stop by the library in-person or call us for more help.
- video is so blurry that I cannot see it.
Ask another question FAQ search
Search our FAQs
Use this box to search for answers that have been asked & answered.
Chat with a Librarian 9:00am - 6:00pm Monday - Friday.
Ask Us Contact Box
We're here to help!
Librarians are here to provide research help to students, faculty, staff, and community members.
Chat/IM a librarian, Ask Us!
Email your question.
Schedule a research consultation.
Browse our FAQs.
Call (305) 348-2454 MMC / (305) 919-5726 BBC
SMS/TXT to (305) 240-6585
Tweet to @FIULibraries
|LibGuides: Research & Subject Guides|
|Hours for Research Help|