Will I be fined for overdue items?
- There will be no overdue fines while the campus is closed due to Coronavirus social distancing recommendations.
- Due dates will be extended to correspond to the period that the Libraries remain closed.
- Students, faculty, and staff will NOT be charged overdue fines for the duration of the closure.
- Blocks in Student Financials due to past fines & fees will be temporarily removed to allow students to register for summer classes.
- For withdrawal forms: Scan (scanner, phone picture, etc.) the form and email it to email@example.com. A library supervisor will sign it and email it back to you.
What if I have questions about my library account and/or fees?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I'm graduating and have items checked out?
Graduating students: All library items must be returned and your library account must be cleared before the University will release your diploma. Please see below for how to return items.
Can I return books that I checked out?
Yes, you can return books in the book drop at either campus. At BBC, the book drop is outside, along the wall to the side of the front door of the library. At MMC, the book drop is in the breezeway at the entrance to the library by Starbucks.
Books and InterLibrary loan (ILL) items may be returned using the book drops at GL and HL at any time.
Can I mail books back to the library?
Yes, library items can be mailed to the address below:
Green Library Room 290
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th St.
Miami, FL 33199
Do I have to return borrowed books?
NOTHING NEEDS TO BE RETURNED DURING OUR CLOSING. All fines incurred during this time will be forgiven. Currently, the book drops can be used to return books and videos. However, please do not return devices via the book drops because they may be damaged.
Can I submit an InterLibrary Loan request?
We will continue to accept and fulfill loan requests for journal articles. Please be aware that many libraries have ceased fulfilling requests for books, so for the immediate future, we will not be able to fulfill book requests.
What about finding eBooks?
Please check our eBook access options. We are working on establishing additional sources for eBook access and will post updates as other sources become available.
FALL 2020 Update
Return of Library Materials
We hope you are well and safe during these unusual times. If you are graduating or not enrolled for the Fall, please see below for the process to return Library materials as the end of the semester approaches. Students enrolled in Fall 2020 courses may maintain possession of laptops and other devices until instructed otherwise.
We will have staff at MMC and BBC on [TBA] to accept:
- iPads / Tablets
- Miscellaneous tech items
For students who are graduating, please note all library items must be returned and your library account must be cleared before the University releases your diploma.
For students returning rental textbooks from the Bookstore, you can print out a free UPS label provided by the bookstore and drop it off at any UPS store or drop box off location. The link is provided below. If further help is needed from the Bookstore please contact email@example.com or call # 305-348-2249. The FIU Bookstore hours are 8am-4pm Monday-Friday. https://fiu.bncollege.com/shop/fiu/page/rental-book-return
Things to keep in mind:
- Anyone making a drop-off must be wearing a mask and should also wear gloves as a precaution.
- Drop-off will be drive-thru ONLY. Students should NOT park and walk to the drop-off sites.
- All library buildings will remain closed. MMC staff will be stationed in a tent on the 112 Ave. horseshoe in front of the Ryder Business Building and BBC staff will be outside the loading dock at the Hubert Library (see maps below).
- Please back up any documents, projects, etc. to a cloud drive and/or USB before dropping off laptops or iPads. Once you turn in your device, you will not have access to it again and documents will not be available for retrieval.
- Students who received devices mailed to them via courier may return the devices using the return shipping label that was included.
If you cannot make it on these dates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call Genevieve Diamond at 305-348-4741 with any questions.
Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe and healthy. Please continue to check FIU.edu/coronavirus for the latest information.